Sutherland Stargazing Camp
Our 2020 dates have not yet been released and be sure to get your details onto our newsletter circulation for information as soon as it is available.
If gazing at the stars sparks even the slightest interest in you, the Sutherland Camp will undoubtedly captivate your attention as you are taken through a celestial experience during your stay. Each of the camps is 2 nights in duration and as such both nights must be booked.
Where is the camp?
Located in the small and historic town of Sutherland in the Northern Cape.
What to do at the camp?
This is a packed program of night star presentations, the day can be spent exploring this historic little town with it’s roots dating back to 1855.
What does it cost?
R 1650.00 – PER PERSON PER NIGHT (SHARING).
R850.00 – PER CHILD (UNDER 9) MAX ONE CHILD SHARING WITH TWO ADULTS.
- Linen, towels and amenities.
- English breakfast.
- Buffet dinner.
- Teas and coffees throughout the day.
- Night star experience on location.
- Tour of SALT (approx 15m self-drive away).
- All drinks.
- Lunches and these are available in Sutherland.
What to bring
- Lots and lots of warm clothes.
- Head torch.
- Your sense of adventure.
- Both nights of a listed camp must be booked and our tents can only accommodate a maximum of one child (under 9) sharing with parents.
- The star gazing experience, our evening star gazing will be on the property of our camp site STERLAND STAR GAZING, this is open to the public however we have pre allocated our guests a space so no need to worry! This is a 2hr experience, firstly in the auditorium where host Jurg Wagener will introduce you to the area, the people and most importantly the stars and what to expect once outside in the Muisbos-Amphi theatre. Here he uses 5×11 inch (280mm) Telescopes to help identify and understand each thing you spot.
- Our tour to SALT (South African Large Telescope) – the largest Optical Telescope in the Southern Hemisphere. SALT is approx. 15 kilometres from our camp site (self-drive) the tour is approximately 1 ½ – 2 Hours which is guided by a SALT representative, after the guided tour you are free to roam around the visitor centre before heading back to camp.
- Ablutions, there are 2x female & 2x male ablutions on site (within 200m from the tents), both have showers and a toilet. Due to the extremely unpredictable weather we have been advised to make use of the showers during the day as often the water will be frozen in the water pipes from the night before, water starts flowing from midday again. You will have an en-suite chemical / porta loo at the rear of your tent (these are for the midnight emergencies for number 1’s only please…)
- Breakfast and dinner this will be provided at the camp, as well as coffee (instant) and tea throughout the day & evening, please feel free to bring along your preferred drinks (alcoholic & non) and snacks for the in between meals. Ice and glasses will be available at the camp. Please bring your preferred snacks/drinks from home as Sutherland town may be limited with supply and preference. Restaurants are available in town for lunch, make a booking to avoid disappointment.