Gamtoos River Mouth Pop-Up Camp
Our Gamtoos River Mouth Pop-Up Camp will be open for a short period only;
19th, 20th & 21st April 2019 – All 3 nights must be booked.
The Gamtoos River Mouth is a hidden gem in the eastern cape coastal crown, and is known to very few, probably because it lies in the shadow of Jeffreys Bay. It is however the perfect coastal playground, with no need to get back into your car from the moment you unpack. Whatever it is that you enjoy doing from sandboarding to ocean and lagoon swimming, and fishing at one of SA’s best fishing spots, it’s all within walking distance from our Gamtoos Mouth Pop-Up Camp.
A mere 40 minutes drive from Port Elizabeth, and whilst garden route travellers barrel along the N2 towards Jeffreys Bay and beyond, many are oblivious to the natural divide which is the Gamtoos River Valley. With its origin around Patensie, the river spills into the ocean about 15km before J-Bay, and not before carving a path through an awesome dune belt.
Co-incidentally one of our pop-up camps, Baviaanskloof Tented Camp is on the banks of the same river, but by another name, the Baviaanskloof River, although not too far as the crow flies and is indeed a different world from the Gamtoos.
The Gamtoos River is well known as a breeding ground for massive cob and huge specimens are caught here on a regular basis. https://www.heraldlive.co.za/lifestyle/leisure/2013-08-30-monster-catch/.
Where is the camp?
The camp, which is at the Gamtoos River mouth, is approx 50 minutes from Port Elizabeth and 15 minutes from Jeffreys Bay.
What to do at the camp?
Hiking, swimming both in the ocean or lagoon, fishing in the ocean or lagoon, boating, cycling, sand boarding, explore the surrounding area etc. We do have kayaks for hire at the camp. Guests are most welcome to bring along their own boat, kayaks, SUP’s etc.
What does it cost?
R 795.00 – PER PERSON PER NIGHT (SHARING).
R 395.00 – PER CHILD PER NIGHT – MAX 3 (U12 SHARING).
- Linen, towels and amenities.
- English breakfast.
- Buffet dinner.
- Teas and coffees with meals.
- Tea and coffee wake-up service.
- All drinks.
- Fees associated with any activities – typically guide fees.
- Optional picnic lunches available for guests who do not wish to leave the camp.
What to bring
- Swimming towels.
- Head torch.
- Sun screen and hats.
- There is a limited selection of cold drinks at the camp, you are most welcome to bring your own drinks along.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are there any self catering facilities available at the camp? Regret there are no self catering facilities. You are however most welcome to braai and there are some basic braai facilities, remember that your rate includes breakfast and dinner.
2. What is the nearest airport? – This will be Port Elizabeth, and the camp is approx 70km from the airport.
3. What options are available for lunches? – There are many facilities in nearby Jeffrey’s Bay, alternatively picnic lunches are available from the camp.
4. Is there ice available at the camp? – We regret there is no ice available at the camp, but there is at a nearby shop.
5. What activities are available off-site? – Beach horseback riding and skydiving is approximately 20m by car from the camp.
6. Can we bring our boat? – You are most welcome to bring your boat, and depending on the tide, one can launch in the lagoon (at the camp) which is open to the Gamtoos River. Alternatively the camp does have its own boat and boating excursions are available.
7. Are there life guards on the beaches? – There are no life guards on the beaches.
8. What is the weather like in April? – Average daytime high is 23 degrees and the low is 15 degrees. (Peak average summer daytime high is 25 degrees and low is 18 degrees).
9. Can we bring our pets along? You are welcome to bring your friendly dogs along, please pack in their leads and your poop scoop. There are areas where there isn’t a single person for miles, and here you are most welcome to let your dogs loose.
Tent Types & Configurations
Twin Safari Tent
The twin safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds.
Triple Safari Tent
The triple safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds and one child under 16 on a stretcher bed.
Family Safari Tent
The family safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds and 2 children under 16 on stretcher beds.
Large Family Safari Tent
The large family safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds and 3 children under 16 on stretcher beds.