Gamtoos River Mouth Pop-Up Camp
The Gamtoos River Mouth is a hidden gem in the eastern cape coastal crown, and is known to very few, probably because it lies in the shadow of Jeffreys Bay. It is however the perfect coastal playground, with no need to get back into your car from the moment you unpack. Whatever it is that you enjoy doing from sandboarding to ocean and lagoon swimming, and fishing at one of SA’s best fishing spots, it’s all within walking distance from our Gamtoos Mouth Pop-Up Camp.
A mere 40 minutes drive from Port Elizabeth, and whilst garden route travellers barrel along the N2 towards Jeffreys Bay and beyond, many are oblivious to the natural divide which is the Gamtoos River Valley. With its origin around Patensie, the river spills into the ocean about 15km before J-Bay, and not before carving a path through an awesome dune belt.
The Gamtoos River is well known as a breeding ground for massive cob and huge specimens are caught here on a regular basis. https://www.heraldlive.co.za/lifestyle/leisure/2013-08-30-monster-catch/.
Explore the region;
There are a few must do experiences in our region;
- Baviaanskloof Nature Reserve – Approximately 1,5 hours away from the camp is entrance to the kloof, and this is a spectacular world heritage site complete with mountainous passes and crystal clear river crossings. Best enjoyed with a 4×4 although a high clearance vehicle alone is also possible. We are available to tell you more about this at the camp, so please don’t hesitate to ask.
- Addo National Park – Another jewel in the eastern cape crown and it is approximately 1,5 hours away from the camp. Home to some of the best elephant viewing in South Africa, amongst many other animal species. And for the wildlife enthusiasts, look out for the flightless dung beetle.
- Tsitsikamma National Park is 1,5 hours away from the camp.
EXCLUSIVE USE BASIS – By way of an example, a camp which can accommodate 40 adults and children in a number of different tent configurations (larger and smaller camps are also available). An exclusive use camp is typically a minimum of 3 nights for your specific dates, although longer and shorter periods are possible, this will effect the rate per person per night.
From R 795.00 to R 995.00 – PER PERSON PER NIGHT (SHARING).
From R 395.00 to R595.00 – PER CHILD PER NIGHT – MAX 3 (U12 SHARING) in large family safari tents.
- Linen, towels and amenities.
- English breakfast.
- Buffet dinner.
- Teas and coffees with meals.
- Tea and coffee wake-up service.
- All drinks.
- Fees associated with any activities – fishing guide fees, boating or kayaking etc.
- Optional picnic lunches available for guests who do not wish to leave the camp.
December 2019 Glam Camp is now available from the 16th December until Saturday the 4th of January 2020.
The December camp will offer options for self-campers as well as our traditional luxury glamping option.
Where is the camp?
The camp, which is at the Gamtoos River mouth, is approx 50 minutes from Port Elizabeth and 15 minutes from Jeffreys Bay.
When is the camp?
From 16th December 2019 until 4th January 2020.
What to do at the camp?
Hiking, swimming both in the ocean or lagoon, fishing in the ocean or lagoon, boating, cycling, sand boarding, explore the surrounding area etc. We do have kayaks for hire at the camp. Guests are most welcome to bring along their own boat, kayaks, SUP’s etc.
What to bring.
Sun screen and hats.
There is a limited selection of cold drinks at the camp, you are most welcome to bring your own drinks along.
December 2019 Glam Camp
For the first time, and after numerous requests, we are offering a mix of self camping options in addition to our regular luxury, fully inclusive safari tent option. Here are the options;
This is a self camp option, and here you provide your own tent, and we will provide a private chemical flush loo and warm water bucket shower tent. The shower is filled with warm water each day between 17h00 and 18h30.
R550 per site – 4 people per site per night and R75 per extra person to a maximum of 6.
There are no plug points available.
This is a self camp option, and here we provide an explorer tent and private chemical flush loo and warm water bucket shower tent. The shower is filled with warm water each day between 17h00 and 18h30.
R900 per tent per night – 2 people per tent.
There are no plug points available | each tent has 2 stretcher beds, mattresses and sleeping bags. | Bring along your own camp chairs, pillows and towels etc. | tent has lighting whilst generator is running.
Tent is complete with 3/4 beds and full linen, towels and bathroom amenities. Each safari tent has an en-suite chemical flush loo and water bucket shower which is filled each day between 17h00 and 18h30. Tent has lighting during generator operating hours.
Our safari tent option can accommodate between 2 and 5 guests in the configurations below. Children are accommodated on stretcher beds and mattresses and sleeping bags.
Twin Safari Tent – R1,200 tent per night – 2 people per tent.
Triple Safari Tent – R1,400 tent per night – 2 adults and 1 child under 16 per tent.
4 sleeper Family Safari Tent – R1,600 tent per night – 2 adults and 2 children under 16 per tent.
5 sleeper Family Safari Tent – R1,800 tent per night – 2 adults and 3 children under 16 per tent.
Our dining option can be selected with any of the options above. Our meals include an English breakfast and buffet dinners. Breakfast is served at 08hoo and dinner at 19h30.
Adults – R200 per day | Children under 12 – R100 per day.
In addition to breakfast and dinner, light lunches burgers etc will be available for sale.
Please take note folks…
1. There are no plug points at the camp, self campers are welcome to bring along silent generators, and these must be switched off after 21h00.
2. No loud music of will be permitted within our camp.
3. If you are going to self cater, please bring along everything that you may require, as apart from water there are no other facilities.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are there any self catering facilities available at the camp? Regret there are no self catering facilities. You are however most welcome to braai and there are some basic braai facilities, remember that your rate includes breakfast and dinner.
2. What is the nearest airport? – This will be Port Elizabeth, and the camp is approx 70km from the airport.
3. What options are available for lunches? – There are many facilities in nearby Jeffrey’s Bay, alternatively picnic lunches are available from the camp.
4. Is there ice available at the camp? – We regret there is no ice available at the camp, but there is at a nearby shop.
5. What activities are available off-site? – Beach horseback riding and skydiving is approximately 20m by car from the camp.
6. Can we bring our boat? – You are most welcome to bring your boat, and depending on the tide, one can launch in the lagoon (at the camp) which is open to the Gamtoos River. Alternatively the camp does have its own boat and boating excursions are available.
7. Are there life guards on the beaches? – There are no life guards on the beaches.
Tent Types & Configurations
Twin Safari Tent
The twin safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds.
Triple Safari Tent
The triple safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds and one child under 16 on a stretcher bed.
Family Safari Tent
The family safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds and 2 children under 16 on stretcher beds.
Large Family Safari Tent
The large family safari tent can accommodate 2 adults in twin beds and 3 children under 16 on stretcher beds.